spaces and newlines before list markers (was: evolving the spec)

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:21:09 EST 2008

> >1. Item one

> >2. Item two

> > . Item three

> > . Item four

> > . Item five

> But that's not very readable, is it?

Note the word "optional" in the paragraph preceding this example. I
think markdown's ideal of allowing the source to be readable should be
understood as making possible and easy for the author to write
markdown source that is readable. I don't see why it would make sense
to _require_ them to make it readable. Sometimes I care that my
source is easy to read, and in cases like that I can number all of my
list items. In other cases I am the only person to sees the source,
and numbering the items is just a waste of time. And tell me that the
example above is more confusing then:

1. Item one
2. Item two
5. Item five
4. Item four
3. Item five

> When I look at a list in the source document, I'd expect to see

> a list. I don't know of very many (if any) cases where the

Yes, I expect to see a list, but I also expect the numbers to be in
order. A list without numbers is better in my opinion than a list
with numbers out of order. And fixing the numbers after reordering
the list is a pain.

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/