on the philosophical aspects of a specification

Seumas Mac Uilleachan seumas at idirect.ca
Thu Mar 6 09:39:19 EST 2008

Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

> * Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> [2008-03-05 05:10]:

>> A better question is what to do with this:

>> *hello **dear* boy**

> That’s a very good question. Here’s a counterquestion: what does

> a human reader see in that text? Based on the visual apperance I

> think I would make it translate to this:

> Really.

> Regards,

See, now that's not at all what I inferred from this case. If we infer
different meanings here then there are undoubtedly many cases we can't
even think of that would be inferred differently. How is the spec
supposed to handle all this? Admittedly we can just go back and make
changes if the result doesn't match our expectations but which was the
real error in that case? The result or the expectation?

BTW I inferred

which maybe for strict XHTML should be