on the philosophical aspects of a specification

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:09:01 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

> > To me, that is an important factor that seems to be ignored by

> > some here. Sometimes, IMO, the best thing to do is to pass the

> > markup through as literal text and give the author a clue that

> > his formatting is unclear!

> Again, that works if the author cares. If they don't, it means

> the output will be ugly.

And if they don't care why should we? Seriously, if the author can't
be bothered to check his work and fix any errors, then I don't care
either. Sure, I may be annoyed when I read the document later, but now
I know how much effort s/he put into it. If it's obvious the author
doesn't care about it, then I probably won't be so easily persuaded by
the point s/he's trying to make. I'd say there's no harm done.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com