[ANN] Babelmark

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Mar 22 17:27:45 EDT 2008

Le 2008-03-22 à 13:57, Yuri Takhteyev a écrit :

> 2-tier list indented by three spaces:

> http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=*+what%27s+up%3F%0D%0A+++*+ok

> Now, on this one, I must say I have mixed feelings, since

> python-markdown is the only implementation that follows "Markdown

> Syntax" and treats the item indented by three spaces as being at the

> same level. Makes me feel like a naive fool for following the "spec".

> :)

Well, you've been following the official spec; no one should call you
a fool for that. But it certainly doesn't give much leverage to the
idea of keeping the spec as it is.

> One more thing: python-markdown is a stickler for explicit encoding

> (because we rely on it for bidi-detection). The input must be either

> python Unicode object or UTF8 encoded byte-string or you must say what

> encoding you are using. Your test doesn't seems to send something

> other than UTF8 without specifying encoding.

> http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=_%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%92%D8%B9%D9%8E%D8%B1%D9%8E%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%91%D8%A9_+

Ah, good catch. Should be fixed now.

Note that I haven't been using Python Markdown's script directly since
I didn't find how to use the standard input with it. So I've written a
4-line python stub which does the job of collecting the input and
calling the markdown function inside markdown.py. Here's the script
(after the fix):

import sys, codecs, markdown
text = unicode(sys.stdin.read(), "utf-8")
html = markdown.markdown(text)
sys.stdout.write(html.encode("utf-8"))

> Should we start a page on the wiki to collect those examples so that

> we can then discuss what ought to be done in each case?

Sure, we could...

But I think we already have half of this in the form of a testsuite,
and the other half in the form of this email discussion list. As I
said already, I'm open to adding new tests to MDTest, things like the
above for instance, and I'm open to discussion about what the expected
output should be.

If you want, you could build a separate testsuite for Python Markdown
that I'll add to the next release of MDTest. The more implementations
can pass each other's testsuite the better interoperability we'll have
achieved.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/