Markdown Extra Spec: Parsing Section

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu May 8 23:59:46 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I've began writing the parsing section of the spec, and I though I'd
let you know about where I'm heading with all this.

Basically, parsing is defined as three consecutive passes: parsing
document elements, parsing block elements and parsing span elements.
Each pass is going to contain a set of rules the parser should attempt
to match while parsing the input. Rules are expressed in English, but
are highly structured so that it should be pretty straightforward to
convert to a formal grammar if the grammar is powerful enough to
express them.

I'm not saying too much here; elaborate explanations are better in the
spec than in this volatile email. If you're interested, take a look
and tell me what you think:
<http://michelf.com/specs/markdown-extra/#parsing>

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com