Link syntax (was: definition lists?)

Jason Blevins jrblevin at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Nov 21 12:26:37 EST 2008

Waylan Limberg wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Jason Blevins

> <jrblevin at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > I couldn't find any discussion of it on the list, but here's the

> > changelog entry:

> > 1.0.2b2 - 20 Mar 2005

> > + Experimental support for [this] as a synonym for [this][].

> Interestingly, this a completely different use for single-bracketed

> text than I use and see on a daily basis. As I mentioned before, I see

> it more as a shortcut footnote type syntax for links only when text is

> expected to be read in plain text format.

Thats a good point--I wasn't making the distinction before. Using
numbers in brackets like so [1] is definitely a common notation for
footnotes. I use it myself in emails but I didn't make the connection.
It's also common for math and engineering journals to use that notation
for references.

Interestingly, that's how peg-markdown (with extensions via -x) renders
footnotes. Instead of the link being a superscript '1', you get '[1]'.
I actually like that better for the web I think. Superscripts are nice
in print, but there you don't have to click on them.

--
Jason Blevins
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Economics, Duke University