list corner case

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon Sep 8 13:45:39 EDT 2008

On 8 Sep 2008, at 02:24, John MacFarlane wrote:

> I'm curious how people think the following *should* be interpreted:

> - one

> 2. two

> http://babelmark.bobtfish.net/?markdown=-++one%0D%0A2.+two%0D%0A%0D%0A

> As you can see, implementations split into three groups here:

> (a) treat as an unordered list

> Markdown.pl, Python markdown, MultiMarkdown, BlueCloth,

> MarkdownJ,

> Showdown

> (b) treat as an unordered list with an ordered sublist

> PHP Markdown, Text::Markdown, Pandoc

> (c) treat as an unordered list followed by an ordered list

> Maruku, Discount, PEG Markdown

Nice case.. I think that what Text::Markdown is doing here (i.e.
option B) is _wrong_..

My gut feeling is that option (c) is what users expect, otherwise
they wouldn't have changed the list item marker - however if the
community has very strong feelings that (a) is more 'correct' then
I'll go with that.

Cheers
Tom