list corner case

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 9 00:11:19 EDT 2008

* Yuri Takhteyev <qaramazov at gmail.com> [2008-09-08 19:40]:

> Between A and C it seems that A wins the popularity contest 7:3

> ((John skipped markdown.lua's "vote" for A). So, A also wins

> the plurality vote even if B is not eliminated. So, I would

> declare it the "right" behavior.

Sure, but the implementors never talked about this. They just had
to resolve this case individually. And what do you do when you
don’t feel strongly about it? You look at what Markdown.pl does.
Which does A. It doesn’t at all seem surprising to me that A wins
in that contest.

But in actual discussion here on list, as far as I saw, with the
exception of “Bowerbird” who made up option D, everyone voted for
C, with some of us calling A a reasonable secondary option. (Did
I misread the discussion?)

Regards,