No Markdown in <div>s or <table>s ?

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 09:07:15 EDT 2009

Multimarkdown has a pretty good syntax for tables. In general it has
the following bug which may be a feature:
properly on every browser I've checked.

There is also a flag inside multimarkdown that can be set to work
inside what it considers block level tags. I ended up setting this,
and forgetting it.

I've been making the argument that div, html, and body (others?) are
NOT block tags, but structural tags, and should be ignored.
I took a look at the code to see if I could hack it to do this.
Markdown has some heavy regexes. Not trivial.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Dan Dascalescu
<ddascalescu+markdown at gmail.com> wrote:

> From http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#html:

>> Note that Markdown formatting syntax is not processed within block-level

>> HTML tags. E.g., you can’t use Markdown-style *emphasis* inside an

>> HTML block. [...] Unlike block-level HTML tags, Markdown syntax is

>> processed within span-level tags.

> How do people work around this when they want to apply Markdown to

> text in table elements, or to text in divs? For example, in a basic

> page with a grid layout, one would want to use markdown in the

> navigation <div> as well, say for a list of links. Seems like a pretty

> serious limitation.

> Thanks,

> Dan

Sherwood Botsford