A Modest Definition List Proposal

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 01:52:45 EST 2009

> That said, there is no way to get any standard blessed as official here

> aside from Gruber adding it to Markdown.pl, right? Except for folks adding

> their own preferred methods to the existing implementations…

Correct. Or one could say there is no way to get any standard blessed
as official here period. The closest you can get is to convince Michel
to add it to Markdown Extra, in which case there is a reasonable
chance that some of the other implementations will add optional
support for it. In this particular case, I find it hard to see this
proposal going very far, though. (Of course, Michel can prove me
wrong.)

You of course can implement it for yourself. If you are into Python
and want to use python markdown [1], we have an extension mechanism
that would make adding support for feature like this quite easy.
Support for definitions list is already implemented as an extension,
so you should be able to extend the classes defined in the extension
module, swapping your own regular expression for the default one. (Or,
for a quick and dirty solution, copy our module and change ":" to "~"
in the regular expression on line 29.) You can then distribute the
extension and try to get it adopted. :)

- yuri

[1]: http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/

--