A Modest Definition List Proposal

David E. Wheeler david at kineticode.com
Thu Feb 19 12:53:51 EST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:42 AM, John Gruber wrote:

>> What I came up with is a single character change to the PHP

>> Markdown Extra syntax. I just published a detailed explanation of

>> my thoughts and reasoning for this on [my blog](http://justatheory.com/computers/markup/modest-markdown-proposal.html

>> ).

> Unlike most syntax suggestions, your suggestion to use tilde as the

> marker for definitions strikes me as genuinely Markdown-ish. I'm not

> sure it's any better than colon, though.

Thanks John. Like I said, I prefer it to a colon because, in my mind
at least, a colon goes at the end of things, not the beginning of
things. The colon just looks weird to me, while the tilde does not.
I'm speaking purely from a visual communication point of view about
the plain-text representation here, of course.

But, like I said, it's dead easy to support both in the existing
implementations.

Best,

David