A Modest Definition List Proposal (David E. Wheeler)

Seumas Mac Uilleachan seumas at idirect.ca
Wed Feb 25 20:34:47 EST 2009

David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 6:57 AM, Sherwood Botsford wrote:

>> One minor change. You don't need pipes in the horizontal separator

>> lines. E.g:

>> id | name | description | more info

> They could be optional; I prefer them.

>> Tables are critters where formatting is tangled with content. And

>> with proportional type, a text only system requires agreement on tab

>> spacing at minimum to get anything to look right. (I'm not a fan of

>> monospace, so all these examples are wonky.)

> I think you might be using the wrong markup language, then. The use of

> monospace fonts is an expectation for reading Markdown. Really, it's

> the whole point.

Wait, what? Monospace is an expectation?!? I have never used monospace
in my e-mail programs. Isn't THAT the main expectation of Markdown? That
it approximates e-mail writing?

I think the only time I actually use monospace fonts is with Alt-F1 (or
Ctrl-Alt)

Admittedly it is easier to create legible text documents with lots of
bullets and tables and definition lists if you are using a monospace
font but in my experience monospace fonts are generally just harder to
read. The beauty of markdown is that you can approximate the spacing of
monospace by varying the whitespace. Or just let it be "wonky". (Of
course what looks beautiful in one proportional font will be wonky in
another anyway)