monospaced fonts

Bowerbird at aol.com Bowerbird at aol.com
Thu Feb 26 08:00:00 EST 2009

alexander said:

> If you're using a Mac and you're

> _noy_ using a monospaced font

> for presenting information in which

> it is important if things line up neatly

> with other things, you're violating a...

there's no reason to have a protracted thread
on this topic, so i'll try not to pick nits here...

i agree with your (obvious) general point that --
when it is important that things "line up neatly"
-- you should make sure things "line up neatly".

(and once again, for the monospace font people:)
i agree with your (obvious) general point that --
if it is important that things "line up neatly"
-- you should make sure things "line up neatly".

i hope you will agree with _my_ obvious counter:
monospaced fonts aren't the only way to do that.
indeed, they aren't even the most _common_ way.
(that distinction still goes to the old-fashioned tab,
by which i mean computation of the point to write.)

in reference to the actual topic of the actual thread,
if anyone were to write a markdown authoring-tool
-- my favorite is still "showdown", it's very cool --
you'll discover that it's fairly easy to support tables.
(even ones that are relatively complex, layout-wise;
for instance, determining defaults for alignment is
very simple, and they almost always work correctly.)
you just discern the columns, size them appropriately,
determine cell alignment, and write text at proper spot.
so the regular emergence of this thread, reminiscent of
punxsatawney phil the groundhog, is really unnecessary.

> If you're using a Mac and you're using a monospaced font,

> you're using a very pretty one that has aesthetic chops, it's

> insanely regular, and it looks the same as far as arrangement

> no matter who wrote it and what platform it was generated on.

if you say so.

but i think most monospaced fonts look pretty much the same,
since it's impossible for me to ignore their disastrous kerning...

but i don't care. use monospace all day. just don't tell steve, ok?
might interfere with his recovery, and we all need him back soon.

-bowerbird

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)