More continuing text for tables

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Jun 23 14:38:27 EDT 2009

Le 2009-06-23 à 0:01, Simon Bull a écrit :

> Thus, text may be continued over any number of lines in a table

> body, like

> this;

> | Col A | Col B | Col C

> ---+-------------+----------+---------

> 1 | A1 | B1 | C1

> : a2 contains : b2 : c2

> : some long & : b2 : c2

> : interesting : b2 : c2

> 2 | commentary | B2 | C2

> 3 | A3 | B3 | C3

Are you sure this syntax is so intuitive? I was certain (for about 5
minutes) that you meant the colons to continue the cell from the
previous line, not start a new cell, despite the weird result. What
David Wheeler proposed seem to follow my interpretation. Basically,
here's what I saw:

| Col A | Col B | Col C
==+=============+==========+=========
1 | A1 | B1 | C1
| a2 contains | b2 | c2
| some long & | b2 | c2
| interesting | b2 | c2
--+-------------+----------+---------
2 | commentary | B2 | C2
--+-------------+----------+---------
3 | A3 | B3 | C3

And here's what I believe you meant:

| Col A | Col B | Col C
==+=============+==========+=========
1 | A1 | B1 | C1
--+-------------+----------+---------
| a2 contains | b2 | c2
| some long & | b2 | c2
| interesting | b2 | c2
2 | commentary | B2 | C2
3 | A3 | B3 | C3

Which makes me believe my syntax above using explicit line separators
may be better, even though it's much more verbose.

michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/