Mail article

david parsons orc at pell.chi.il.us
Mon May 4 15:41:40 EDT 2009

In article <20090504101943.J24560 at maniac.deathstar.org>,
John Kipling Lewis <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net> wrote:

>It's common practice to add^H^H^H put these makes in for clarity.

Common practice where? I used to see that construction on
usenet, and occasionally I use it in mail, but in my experience
the whole point of typing out ^H & ^W is so that your reader
will see it and be amused by what you're writing.

(I occasionally use strikethrough when writing on weblogs, but I
don't think it looks as good as the visual attempt to frantically
backspace over some intemperate but true invective.)

And from a usability point of view, I don't think it's all that
great because you'd need to keep track of how many characters you're
backspacing over.

-david parsons