using markdown in a forum?

Allan Odgaard 1EDF4D33-D1B1-4C97-A393-3D2B4EE5E095+Markdown at uuid-mail.com
Sat May 1 07:10:50 EDT 2010

On 1 May 2010, at 11:45, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> Is markdown a good language to use in a web forum application? How

> does it compare to bbcode in features and ease-of-use for non-

> technical users?

One advantage of BBCode is that it has nothing to do with HTML. It is
its own language and fully defined.

If you allow Markdown you need to consider whether or not you want to
filter out HTML tags (you probably do want to filter them out due to
security). If you do filter them out, you force users e.g. to use
Markdown links which for non-technical users might be done best using
some widget (but the same is true of BBCode).

Also because Markdown is somewhat implicit (rather than explicit
markup) it might be possible for users to trigger unwanted
conversions, see GFM for 3 changes they made to avoid this: http://github.github.com/github-flavored-markdown/

That said, I very much dislike writing text using BBCode.