CodeDown = Markdown as the universal language for program documentation

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:05:14 EDT 2011

Interesting concept, but I think you have it partially reversed.

You want php -> codedown -> web

I think it would be better:

codedown -> php
codedown -> markdown -> web

One of the weaknesses for most programming is that people postpone writing
the documentation.

In one of the few programming courses I had, the instructor had us write the
user manual first. THEN write the top level description of the program,
including documenting the algorithms. ONLY then could we write the
program. After we had to correct the previous levels.

There is a lot of merit in this for anything that is too complicated to fit
into a single file.

In addition this approach requires no changes to markdown.

Codedown then only has to recognize a different commenting style for
whatever language you are using, which I think would make it quick to write.

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests -- http://Sherwoods-Forests.com