Email Obfuscation Techniques

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Mon Apr 11 20:49:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> The other thread brought to my attention that only the <email> syntax

> obfuscates mailto links. Plus, while the entity encoding technique

> probably fools some scrapers, I doubt it's all that effective.

Incredibly, it's still very effective. Back when I kept a personal
site with actual content, I kept an entity-encoded mailto: link to
asswipe at quillio.com on all pages. For maybe eight years (up until
about four years ago), that alias never received a message. I still
use entity-encoding mailtos on public sites and don't have the
impression that they're scraped.

I think the harvesters are all about low-hanging fruit, and decoding
is still more expensive than it's worth. Might change some day, but
doesn't seem to have -- yet.

LQ

--
Lou Quillio