Universal syntax for Markdown

Alan Hogan alanhogan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:14:29 EDT 2011

> Hi,

> because of the great editor "Writer" from Information Architects I've

> learned about Markdown and I love it. But it's very confusing, that

> there are so many standards with different features: classical

> Markdown, Markdown Extra, MultiMarkdown. I think for most users and

> the spreading of Markdown it would be nice, to have only one syntax.

> And this universal syntax should have the additions of MultiMarkdown:

> footnotes, tables, definition lists, citation, metadata (author,

> title, date), and so on... Because I think many people would like to

> have these additional functions in Markdown. And who doesn't need

> these additional functions, simply doesn't use them.

> I think, one universal Markdown-syntax with the additional

> possibilities of MultiMarkdown would be less confusing for consumers

> and would help to spread Markdown in more apps and to more users.

> Because it's really great!

Flo, I completely agree with you. It's absurd.

There are two steps to evolution: Mutation and natural selection. With Markdown we see more mutation than selection, though MultiMarkdown and PHP Markdown Extra do seem to be "selected" more than other mutations.

There are those of us in the Markdown community who hope for some sort of official, largely-universial "version 2" of some sort (whatever it's called). Unfortunately this desire is far from universal.

Alan