Universal syntax for Markdown

David Chambers david.chambers.05 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 01:07:30 EDT 2011

First let me say that this thread has me excited. There's a great deal of constructive discussion, and a surprising number of "I agree" replies.

I'll add my two cents on the particulars that have been discussed herein.

Metadata

Just about every Markdown document I create includes metadata (for date, time, and time zone, and sometimes tags). I couldn't live without it, but as a user it doesn't matter to me whether these data are processed by the Markdown library itself or, as Waylan suggested, by "a separate […] library (like YAML) which reads and removes the metadata".

I think Alan's suggestion that Markdown should define syntax for a metadata section (while ignoring the contents of such sections) is an excellent one.

Definition lists

The fact that including more than one definition for a given term is an uncommon requirement should not preclude such use cases from being accommodated. Rather than thinking in terms of the "rendered" content (be it HTML, PDF, or some other format) we should first think in terms of what our content means and how best to express that meaning in a structured fashion.

Definition lists are a good case in point. What is a definition? Text that explains the meaning of or describes some thing. There therefore exists some relationship between the definition and the thing it defines. Also, there may be several ways to describe one thing. What is the relationship between various definitions for a particular thing? Are they equally important? Are they sequential? Can they be grouped in some way? Can one description apply to more than one thing?

Only once we have considered the meaning and structure of our content in the abstract should we consider how best to express it in Markdown and how best to translate it to each of the various publication formats.

Should changing from ordered to bulleted list markers start a new list?

Yes.

Table syntax

As has been stated, there's more diversity in the table syntax supported by the various extensions than exists for most other language additions. This indicates that tables will likely be much harder to "solve" than definition lists or footnotes. That's fine. This needn't all happen at once. Here's how I imagine the transition to "Markdown 2" might work:
Several people write documents (for lack of a better term). Each of these would define how a particular group of edge cases should be handled, or would propose syntax definitions for a language addition that exists as a popular extension. These brave souls would analyze differences between the various implementations and would present the pros and cons of each (in terms of readability, writeability, and implementation complexity) and may follow this with an actual proposal.
These documents are discussed at length on this list, and amendments are made.
The two or three least contentious proposals are further hammered out and eventually — say, 18 to 36 months from now — become part of the "Markdown 2" specification.
Library maintainers decide how best to react to these additions. Some will decide to remain a pure Markdown (1) library, which is fine. Others will decide to maintain full backwards compatibility with Markdown (1) but will update the affected extensions to accept the standardized syntax (exclusively, or in addition to the existing syntaxes). As Alan has suggested, new libraries may emerge which fully support the additions made in "Markdown 2".
Repeat steps 1–4 indefinitely.
The above is not much different from what happens currently. Furthermore, one can see how existing libraries could adopt "Markdown 2" without breaking backwards compatibility in most cases. Features which currently only exist as extensions could continue to exist as extensions in many implementations. As for edge cases which are clarified in "Markdown 2", well, they are by definition unreliable in Markdown as it exists today.

David