Universal syntax for Markdown

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Wed Aug 17 19:28:55 EDT 2011

Just to clarify my thoughts about some of bowerbird's comments (which are his, and do not represent my own opinions):

1) I don't think that the MMD feature set and/or implementation is necessarily the best for everyone - just because I like it, doesn't make it right for all uses. That said, there are many who do find it useful.

2) I have no desire to have MMD take over the name "markdown" - that belongs to Gruber and his work. I *do* think it would be useful if some as yet unwritten consensus standard could become "Markdown 2.0" - that *would* require Gruber's approval. It may or may not contain features outside of the current base, but could at least become the canonical way to handle current edge cases.

3) Terpstra and Jalkut have made use of MMD in various ways and made it better by their work and contributions, and MacFarlane has certainly helped me by his own creation of peg-markdown. I'm not sure that I would speak for them to the point of saying they have vetted it, however. To my knowledge, MacFarlane has no plans to stop developing peg-markdown (even if just for bug fixes) or pandoc (which has features and output formats that MMD does not). To be clear, I am not stating that any of these other developers feel MMD is the current "implementation to beat." (They may feel that way, but I am not aware that they have said so publicly.)

4) I'm sure some people think that I am dogmatic, but I try not to be. ;)

F-

Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at fletcherpenney.net