here's the thing that tips the scale

Bowerbird at aol.com Bowerbird at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 21:00:11 EST 2011

ok, i waited for 2 weeks, and still no votes -- none! --
on whether my posts are sufficiently on-topic, or not...

and that basically confirms what i suspected all along,
which is that no one really cares one way or the other.

even the guys who put up the bitchy posts are probably
just having a bad day, and they don't have a dog to kick,
and the wife made 'em stop smoking herb, so they have
no way to chill out and get mellow when they're cranky.

***

so i'll still think about it some more, but it's likely that
i'll resume the short series of messages i had in mind.

a firm realization that no one wants to hear my points
is certainly enough to make me reconsider, to be sure,
and i have done (and will continue) that mental math...

but here's the thing that tips the scale.

i think i have a better way of specifying light-markup.

indeed, i am convinced i do. now i could be wrong, but
usually when i'm _convinced_, it turns out that i'm right.
so i feel an obligation.

thus i'm eventually gonna show the world my better way.

and _if_ the world cares -- always a huge uncertainty --
i expect that a very common reaction to my specification
will go like this: "i think you've got something here, and
i'm gonna use it, for sure, but i just wish that markdown
would support this, because markdown is so widespread.
no offense, bowerbird, but you're just one person, while
markdown already has that huge _community_ behind it."

that's what i expect people will say to me. (if anything.)

so when they do, i wanna be able to reply by saying this:
"you know, i agree with you completely. i don't want to
have to make all this crap by myself. i have better things
to do than support a bunch of users who i don't charge.
especially since i'm going up against the market-leader.
so i tried to get markdown developers to attend to this.
i tried and tried and tried. but they just wouldn't listen.
so finally i had to release it myself, to benefit the world."

so that's the bottom line.

i _wish_ you guys would listen to me.

i really do.

but i ain't gonna kiss your asses.

so i'm here to tell you something.

so i can tell other people that i _tried_ to tell you.

whether or not you listen to me is entirely up to you.

and there's your fucking soliloquy for this week...

-bowerbird