php-markdown-extra-extended - my humble attempt at extending php-markdown

David Parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Thu Jul 14 01:33:24 EDT 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 8:33 PM, Alan Hogan wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM, David Parsons wrote:

>> You're looking at markdown like some sort of intermediate

>> language that's not designed for writing; I'm trying to

>> use existing constructs to add marginally useful features

>> without introducing too much extraneous noise.

>> -david parsons

> 1) I certainly _do_ view Markdown (and all these derivatives) as

> "designed for writing." Specifically, as designed for authoring --

> the distinction in my mind is that the W3C always calls web page

> document creators "authors." Markdown was created by someone who

> wanted to use it to author web pages (specifically, content or blog

> posts, as opposed to full documents), while retaining maximum plain-

> text readability. Authoring content for the Web has still got to be

> far and away the #1 use of Markdown (and derivatives).

The rule of thumb I try to follow when doing extensions can be
found
at the very top of the Markdown project page (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown
):

"Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool for web writers. Markdown
allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text
format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML)."

I do not think that the :{ words } extension is easy to read or
write. And I can't see how claiming it's the Latest Craze in Port
Royal (tm Capt Bogg & Salty) addresses those concerns. If I want
power, why shouldn't I just write a chunk of raw html? Markdown
supports that natively and it's no less readable than :{ words } is.

-david parsons