What does Markdown do with HTML comments? Recommendation on Markdown file extension?

Seumas Mac Uilleachan seumas at idirect.ca
Fri May 6 19:13:59 EDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 06:00 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

> * Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> [2011-05-05 03:25]:

>> However, most projects I'm aware of use '.md' or '.markdown'.

> `.mkd` and `.mkdn` are also popular. I’ve seen `.mdwn` also,

> and I think even `.mdn` though I’m not sure about that one.

> Regards,

I also recall seeing .mdown somewhere. I think the point is that the
extension really shoudn't matter. Use what you want. Let the metadata
take care of the rest. Similar to a #! in shell scripts to specify
language interpreter. Don't matter what the extension is there either.

I have also over the years seen .txt, .text, .doc, .note, .asc, .ascii,
and no extension at all for text files. Also read.me