An Observation

Seumas Mac Uilleachan seumas at idirect.ca
Tue May 17 11:03:28 EDT 2011

I was commenting on the Gruber comment, not making a real-world
observation. I have used a few different implementations and the results
are consistent except for the edge cases. However, there ARE edge cases
where results are not consistent with common expectations (typically
from users who do understand the rules), and are indeed discussed in
great detail on this list. Most users here would prefer that the
expectations took precedence. Gruber's comment indicates otherwise.

The "compalints about Mr Gruber" seem to me to be more along the lines
of users wanting extra features (like tables, footnotes, etc) or wanting
edge cases made more consistent, with Mr Gruber being quite content with
the status quo and not even bothering to comment on the feature requests
or edge cases. Since he is deemed to be the BDFL of markdown nothing
therefore changes. Implementers then have the conuntrum of either
literally following what Gruber's markdown does or following what common
expecations want. Added features become individual enhancements with no
central authority. In essence, each implementation becomes a fork of
markdown. Forks tend to diverge, making interoperability problematic.

Personally, I am quite content with the current feature set of markdown,
which probably explains why I have a very low posting rate here. I don't
use tables or footnotes very often so I don't miss them but I can
understand the need for them.

On 16/05/11 11:16 PM, David Parsons wrote:

> On May 16, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Seumas Mac Uilleachan wrote:

>> On 16/05/11 10:18 PM, Dr. Drang wrote:

>>> A bit of Kremlinology: [...]

>>> lol