doesn't that make you wonder?

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Thu Oct 20 16:59:51 EDT 2011

Perhaps an (admittedly trivial) example will help:

peg-mmd:
Block = BlankLine*
( BlockQuote
| Verbatim
| &{ !extension(EXT_COMPATIBILITY) } DefinitionList
| &{ !extension(EXT_COMPATIBILITY) } Glossary
| Note
| Reference
| HorizontalRule
| HeadingSection
| OrderedList
| BulletList
| HtmlBlock
| StyleBlock
| &{ !extension(EXT_COMPATIBILITY) } Table
| &{ !extension(EXT_COMPATIBILITY) } ImageBlock
| !(Sp? HtmlBlockOpenDiv) Para
| Plain )

Composer:
Block = BlankLine*
( BlockQuote
| Verbatim
| &{ EXT(EXT_MMD) } DefinitionList
| &{ EXT(EXT_MMD) } Glossary
| Note
| Reference
| HorizontalRule
| HeadingSection
| OrderedList
| BulletList
| HtmlBlock
| StyleBlock
| &{ EXT(EXT_MMD) } Table
| &{ EXT(EXT_MMD) } FutureTable
| Para
| Plain )

The PEG is basically the same in defining what to match, but the C commands (inside the {}) are different based on the requirements of the separate programs.

It sounds like you want a single document that can be pasted into any program in any language and work. I suspect such a think doesn't exist.

A PEG in this style is close, in that it defines an algorithm for parsing the input text that can be reused in a variety of contexts, but it will require customization to suit the particular needs of the program.

F-

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at fletcherpenney.net