Metadata syntax (was Universal syntax for Markdown)

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Mon Sep 19 14:34:48 EDT 2011

I wonder how often multi-paragraph metadata comes up in real world use? Something like an abstract, IMO, shouldn't be metadata - it should be part of the document. How to *display* that section graphically (e.g. smaller font?, narrower width, etc.) is a problem for CSS/LaTeX/ODF/whatever - *not* for Markdown itself.

I published a book via Lulu (a friend's PhD thesis) using MMD - it had an abstract, dedication, acknowledgements, preface, ToC, lists of figures, etc. Each of which was formatted appropriately, without using metadata for any of it. I customized an XSLT to generate the LaTeX I desired, and the result was fantastic.

The only problem I have run into with MMD's metadata is that it would be nice to support markup inside some fields but not all, and that has rarely been a problem for me. This was easily remedied in MMD 2, but trickier in MMD 3.

I think the best shot at consensus is a basic syntax for general metadata (obviously I'm partial to MMD ;) that covers 90% of what people do. Then a more complicated shared syntax for those variants that want to support the "kitchen sink" approach to metadata.

Not to repeat myself, but I again think we're approaching this from the wrong end. If there's going to be a consensus, I think it's going to have to start with a shared philosophy for the standards. Each variant may end up with it's own philosophy outside of that, but there has to be a common vision for the purpose of the standard.

Until that happens, I don't think we'll get anywhere trying to sort out specific implementations for specific features - we don't have a shared understanding of the problem we're trying to solve.

F-