Metadata syntax (was Universal syntax for Markdown)

David Sanson dsanson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:30:58 EDT 2011

> Those sound like reasons for the metadata to *identify* the abstract, but I see no requirement that it must be literally *stored* there. If the metadata contained something like

> abstract: relative/path/to/abstract.mdown

> That would allow for all of the above scenarios while keeping the metadata syntax/section simple.

But that makes the document far less portable, and I'm liable to lose the extra file at some point. I'd much rather have it be self-contained---not, of course, if that means that the document suddenly becomes weirdly ugly and complicated, but I don't see anyone proposing a solution that makes documents weird and ugly and complicated.

David