Footnote output not valid

Alan Hogan contact at alanhogan.com
Tue Aug 7 13:32:01 EDT 2012

I find it hard to understand why rel=footnote would have been dropped.

In general, I do see the value in only using registered rel attribute values. You can’t propose native rel functionality if it’s seeing much use to mean something else.

However, since rel=footnote *was* valid at some point, and *has* seen widespread adoption, I can see no harm whatsoever in continuing to output it. It nicely allows its styling via CSS3 attribute selections.

Similarly, if `rev` is altogether deprecated, well, there is no harm in continuing to output it. Browsers cannot and will never choke on that – the worst they can do is ignore it.

Alan

PS I believe the unfinished nature of HTML5 is not a valid reason to care about HTML5, but it *is* probably just cause not to worry about small "errors" like this when validating against it.