Paragraphs and html integration.

Boris Le Ninivin boris.leninivin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:26:54 EDT 2012

Hello everyone.

It seems that I can post to the list now. Great. [1]

I'm new to this list, and I've subscribed to discuss a design matter.
Indeed, I'm currently writing a WebDev Toolkit in PHP for making the
creations of simple websites and web applications quicker and easier
(I'm fully aware that this kind of thing already exist, let's just say
I'd doing it my way, 'cause nothing I've seen so far fulfills my needs,
and also, I might learn one thing or two in the process).

For allowing people who will use my toolkit to write content without
having to include html tags, I've choosen the Markdown language (thanks
to the PHP port). To me, it's the best markup language I've ever used so
far.

Now, to step forward to the problem I have :

In a website, parts of the pages (essentially headers and footers) are
often the same. Hence I've added a functionality to my toolkit :
inclusion. It is performed when the parser finds "@include filename".

The problem I have had is that these instructions are wrapped between
since EVERYTHING is wrapped between <p> tags (including doctypes and
all!), I get non-compliant html documents (my header defines the doctype
and html head body tags too; and my footer closes the body and html
tags; but these are wrapped into paragraphs...).

Since the markdown language is aimed to be "a format for /writing/ for
the web." and "not a replacement for HTML, or even close to it.", I
think the md language should allow a strong usage of html tags, and
even, to have .md files containing 99% of html tags.

In the end, on the df website, it is said that "Markdown is smart enough
not to add extra (unwanted) |<p>| tags around HTML block-level tags.".
So I don't know if it's an implementation problem (related to the PHP
port, maybe?), or if it's a design problem, but as far as I know,
Markdown is not smart enough to not add unwanted <p> tags.

Regards,
Boris Le Ninivin.

[1] I'm not really delighted to see that a GOOGLE email address is
required to be able to post to this list. It might be a more or less
effective way to reduce spam, but it's clearly not the correct one.
Google uses the data from your emails to build profiles on you, and to
[identify](http://donttrack.us/) and [bubble](http://dontbubble.us/)
you. Therefore, I use a personal email address from a domain I own. And
that one was rejected. I just wanted to point all that out while I'm at
it. Oh and in case I'm wrong and that it was my domain which is
blacklisted or anything else, do not pay attention to this complaint. :)