Trouble with parentheses in Markdown hyperlinks

Fletcher Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Wed Oct 17 21:00:10 EDT 2012

Markdown.pl (the original implementation by John Gruber) is basically abandonware at this point, as it as not been updated in years. In fact, as has been pointed out on this list, Gruber has not commented on this discussion group in years.

That said, Markdown the *syntax*, is certainly alive and well in the form of multiple descendant projects.

In fact, your example file below works just fine with MultiMarkdown, and presumably with peg-markdown (since I built MMD version 3 around John MacFarlane's peg-markdown implementation.)

Not sure what implementation Stack Overflow is actually using, but clearly some implementations work just fine in this regard. Many (most?) modern implementations also have vastly improved performance over the original perl version for most documents (often by several orders of magnitude). If they are using Markdown.pl, perhaps it is time that they upgrade.... If not, simply speak with the developer of the actual implementation that is being used.

Fletcher

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at fletcherpenney.net