Multidingus

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:24:13 EDT 2012

I've implemented a version of what I described below.
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/dingus.html

So far the "multidingus" only supports pandoc, since there's
only a dingus server for pandoc. But I'd like to add others
with your cooperation.

To implement a dingus server for your implementation, you
need to write a cgi script or server app that takes the
contents of the 'text' parameter, converts it to markdown,
and returns a json object with two properties:

- version - a string with the version of your implementation
- html - a string containing the html output for the input
provided

Here's an example of my server in action:

% curl 'http://johnmacfarlane.net/cgi-bin/pandoc-dingus?text=hi *there*'
{"html":"<p>hi</p>","version":"1.9.4.2"}

If you send me the URL for your dingus server and the name of your
implementation, I'll add it to the "multidingus." Other suggestions
also welcome. For example, it might be useful to add fields to
the return value like "description", "website", and "author".

Also, perhaps "dingus" isn't the best word for it, since it
just displays the HTML source, not the formatted output. I take
it that's what we want, since this is intended primarily for
comparing the output of different implementations on corner
cases, not for users to get a feel for markdown.

John

+++ John MacFarlane [Oct 18 12 09:40 ]: