How to insert a blank line between blockquote paragraphs?

Thomas Maibaum thomasmaibaum at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:25:18 EDT 2012

Waylan Limberg, 2012-10-25 05:23:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:22 PM, John MacFarlane <jgm at berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> See question 6 here:

>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/faq.html#what-are-some-big-questions-that-the-markdown-spec-does-not-answer

>> And note that pandoc allows you to create two blockquotes if

>> you leave blank space between,

> Which is clearly in violation of the syntax rules [1].

Fair enough, but I for one feel this means there is something not quite
right with the "canonical" syntax rules here: They *should* have
included a method for letting separate blockquotes follow each other
without them ending up merged into what looks like one long blockquote,
and without having to fall back on HTML.

Besides, as I said, I'm grateful for you guys to point out two methods
(non-breaking space vs. comment) and their respective output. The narrow
break generated by the "comment" method is what I had in mind when I
asked about this.

However, I still think that it's pretty counterintuitive: Shouldn't a
comment in HTML be just that, i.e., stricly a *comment* without any
effect whatsoever on what the rendered page looks like?

Again, on a pragmatic level the "comment" method solves my problem just
fine, but it does strike me as a bit "quick and dirty".

Thomas