[ANN] vfmd

Roopesh Chander roop at forwardbias.in
Mon Sep 30 10:24:51 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.ca>wrote:

> Le 30-sept.-2013 à 9:16, Roopesh Chander <roop at forwardbias.in> a écrit :

> >> It's true that you can't solve the issue of editors having different

> lengths for tabs, but you're already picking four-space-per-tab so why do

> it differently from everyone else?

> > What is everybody else doing? Do you mean that everyone else is expanding

> > tabs while parsing using the "4-(column_number modulo 4)" method?

> Well, pretty much everyone. With the number of implementations there are

> always going to be a few outliers. See for yourself:

> http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?normalize=1&text=%09%09a%0A%09.%09a%0A%09..%09a%0A%09...%09a%0A%09....%09a

To summarize:
- Marked always replaces '\t' with 4 spaces
- Maruku and Kramdown keep the '\t' intact
- Everyone else does the "4-(column_number modulo 4)" method

> I'd go with #3, but instead of just of saying "tabs are not recommended"

> I'd explain and warn that Markdown assumes tab stops to be aligned to four

> spaces and that you might get unexpected results if your editors shows tab

> otherwise; spaces are more predictable. But that's more for user

> documentation than for the parsing specification.

Yes, of course, for the user documentation, which is what I call the syntax
guide (as opposed to the specification, which is meant for parser
implementors).

roop.