text/markdown effort in IETF (invite)

Sreeharsha Mudivarti msreeharsha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:22:39 EDT 2014

> So, you might have:  content-type="text/markdown"
> flavor="tables+titleblock" processor="floobity-1.2.3"

That looks fine, but it has too many Combinations.

I don't think Markdown should be standardised.

It is,

1) Incomplete as compared to asciidoc

2) Self-Contradicting

    No general escaping

3) No formal grammar

    It is typically implemented by regexes.
    So unlike html, a bold phrase, can't span two lines.

In the meantime you can standardise asciidoc, multimarkdown, wikicreole
which are saner than the original markdown and they already have specs.

Makrdown dubs its formatting on email conventions.
That's not true, because email conventions are free-form ascii.
Consider this email thread, for example.

Cheers,
Harsha