Agreeing on "Historical Markdown"

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Fri Jul 11 07:30:40 EDT 2014

Le 11-juil.-2014 à 6:08, Sean Leonard <dev+ietf at seantek.com> a écrit :

> On 7/11/2014 3:04 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> You might also call the first two "Markdown 1.0.1" and "Markdown 1.0.2b7" for simplicity's sake. As for the idealized version, that's what I call "Markdown" personally, or "plain Markdown" when I need to disambiguate.
>
> Ok; however, I understand that there are some differences between the syntax <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax> and the 1.0.1 implementation. Maybe also the 1.0.2b[x] implementation(s). Right?

In the 1.0.2 beta branch the HTML block parser supports the markdown="1" attribute, but also introduces some regressions; the shortcut reference links were added; there has been some hacky bug fixing regarding code spans-like things in the attributes of HTML tags (but I'll argue it's are just shifting the errors to somewhere else). The version history is right there if you want the differences between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2b[x] (looks like someone posted 1.0.2b8 on Github for convenience):
<https://github.com/mayoff/Mathdown/blob/master/Markdown.pl#L1529>

The syntax page is documenting the 1.0.1 features. Parsing of list indentation doesn't work exactly as  described in that document however. First point of this answer in the Babelmark 2 FAQ gives more details:
<http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/faq.html#what-are-some-big-questions-that-the-markdown-spec-does-not-answer>

Beside that, the document makes many simplifications to make it easier to understand from a user perspective. It is not really an implementer's guide.

michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca