Hi, question about utf-8 saved source

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Mon Mar 3 10:01:39 EST 2014

Markdown.pl proper (the original perl script by John Gruber) doesn't
create complete HTML documents. It creates HTML that is intended to be
inserted inside a "wrapper" that forms a complete HTML document. It
therefore has no concept of character encoding, since that should be
handled by the wrapper (in the `<head>` for example).

Some other Markdown variants (e.g. my MultiMarkdown) can create
"complete" HTML documents, including a `<head>` and the like. By doing
that, they can support UTF-8. For example, in MMD just include some
metadata (such as a title, or author), and the result is a complete HTML
document with UTF-8 support.

Otherwise if you want to stick with Markdown.pl, your solution is
probably the best available.

Fletcher

http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/