On simplifying table syntax in any future markdown extension. (Use CSV)

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Fri Sep 5 14:11:22 EDT 2014

Le 5-sept.-2014 à 13:34, mofo syne <mofosyne at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I see. So it's a bit too idealistic in terms of the practicality of implementing csv inspired tables.
>
> How's Tom other second and third examples? Both uses pipes and I preferred the second version. However the --------- is mistaken for a h1 header according to babelmark. Second examples of a single |-----| means only the first row of the cell data is displayed or pandoc.
>
> I'm guessing the biggest issue about implementing with "------" is that parsing such tables require processing the context.

Actually, if you start with a pipe character on each line, you don't need to add more pipes on the separator line with Markdown Extra. Tom's last suggestion already works, and so does this one:

	| header | header | header
	| cell | cell | cell

Well, for PHP Markdown Extra and a couple more at least.

http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?normalize=1&text=%7C+header+%7C+header+%7C+header%0A%7C+------------------------%0A%7C+cell+%7C+cell+%7C+cell

michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca