when rational discussion was still a possibility

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 6 12:05:39 EDT 2014

+++ Michel Fortin [Sep 06 14 07:26 ]:

>With all that said, if I do port CommonMark to PHP I'd probably call it PHP CommonMark and promote it as an alternative, better defined, Markdown-like syntax.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do!  There are some small
divergences, described in detail (with motivations) in our spec
or whatever you want to call it.  They shouldn't show up much in
ordinary documents.

When you try to fit a curve to a bunch of data points (which is
what writing more precise rules for Markdown involves), the best
fitting curve will probably not pass through all of the points.