Proposal for (source-side) hyphenation support

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Fri Mar 31 20:24:47 EDT 2017

[ ... ]

> > I think we need to think about how this is conveyed into HTML, and
> what
> > browsers might do, since that is where the actual layout width is
> > determined.  It should be assumed that reflow can happen at any time
> and
> > the soft-hyphen might be usable along with whatever other automatic
> > hyphenation the browser uses.
> >
> > A direct method would be to insert soft-hyphen (SHY) codes, code-point
> > 0xAD in Unicode and in Latin-1.
> >
> > I recommend working backward from that to find a Markdown escape that
> > serves this purpose.
>
> Sorry, I should have made it more clear. I'm not talking about any
> effective change of the output. My purpose is to enhance readability
> of the Markdown source. Any "escape" that differs visually much from
> the usual hyphen before a line break wouldn't serve "this purpose".
[orcmid]

I don't understand the use-case you describe.  What do you expect the (canonical) HTML to be and how is it determined that a hard hyphen is involved?

Or are you breaking the hyphenation in the markdown but don't want the break in the result; you want to glue the word back together (and reflow of the output makes a break or not)?

Is this more like you want to insert a hard break in the Markdown text, but it is invisible in the output, sort of like the C-Language(s) "\" line-ending?