No subject

Tue Dec 29 08:20:31 EST 2009

the last provincial election, the New Green Alliance captured as much as
eight per cent of the vote in some constituencies, such as Saskatoon
Nutana and Regina Centre. Voting Green may indeed give some other party
a chance for victory in some seats, but it may not always be the
Saskatchewan Party.

Even if it does, should Greens be held responsible for that?

Most of these people are young people, who are not attached to the
mainline parties. They are motivated more by idealism than they are by
strategic voting aimed at supporting the status quo. What's more, they
don't threaten easily.

"Whatever happens, whatever the outcome is from the election, I don't
think we're going to have any regrets whatsoever," Webster said.

"If we think we can have some influence over how people vote by
manipulating or scaring people, that's the height of arrogance."

25) Manly Daily (Australia); November 4, 2003

AUSTRALIA; SAFETY DOUBTS

THE Greens Party has called on the State Government to ensure Collaroy
Plateau's Greenhaven development meets the highest standards in
environmental protection and fire safety.

Repeating the calls of the Save Jamieson Park Committee, Greens MLC
Sylvia Hale has put a motion to Parliament which seeks to recognise the
importance of the land and its fire-sensitive status.

In 1998, the Land and Environment Court approved the construction of 130
units by the RSL Veterans' Retirement Village on land next to Jamieson
Park.

"Since approval for this development was given, fire standards have
improved," she said.

"The Government must ensure the developer meets the highest possible
standards. If the development goes ahead without a large enough fire
break, there will be enormous pressure for the safety of residents to
create a wider buffer using public land."

Ms Hale said the community was already seeing this with the latest
proposal to push the existing path through Jamieson Park.

"It is an extremely valuable environmental asset, which must be left as
a sanctuary," she said.

In her motion, Ms Hale notes that the development does not conform with
current bushfire prevention legislation and therefore it may not be
suitable as an aged persons village.

She also highlights that the land was resumed from the Wheeler family in
1959 by the Government specifically for use as a "war veterans' home"
yet the units were being sold off the plan for almost $1 million to
non-veterans.

Ms Hale has asked the Government to ensure that best practice bushfire
asset protection zones be applied to the development and contained
within its boundary.

A spokesman for Assistant Planning Minister Diane Beamer said it was
understood that Warringah Council had been talking to the Rural Fire
Service which apparently had no problems with issuing a construction
certificate.

26) South Wales Evening Post; November 4, 2003

WALES: WORKERS 'SACRIFICED'

Workers who face being laid off at a Swansea bank are being sacrificed
on the altar of globalisation, says the Green Party. The bank, HSBC, is
being called on to explain why 130 jobs at its Enterprise Park customer
relations centre are being exported to India.

They are among many more HSBC jobs that are being lost to China,
Malaysia and India.

Swansea Green Party spokesman Martyn Shrewsbury said HSBC, the world's
second biggest bank, was in the business of taking the cheap option and
paying pittance rates in Asia.

"This is just one example of how Wales's economy and Swansea's workforce
are being sacrificed on the altar of globalisation," he said.

"These huge corporations go around looking for the cheapest workforce to
exploit."

27) South Wales Evening Post; November 4, 2003

WALES: FIELDING A GREEN

Anti-incinerator campaigner Teresa Brzoza has been lined up to fight the
St Thomas seat on Swansea Council by the Green Party. The party's
Euro-candidate for 2004, Martyn Shrewsbury, said: "She is well-known in
the area, having been heavily involved in opposing the incinerator in
Crymlyn Burrows." The incinerator, operated by Portuguese firm HLC on
behalf of Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend councils, has been closed
following a serious fire.

The Green Party says it has 39 candidates to fight seats across the
city. It says it is still looking for more.

28) Radio Australia, Melbourne; November 3, 2003

AUSTRALIA: CHINESE EMBASSY "HELPED SCREEN" GUESTS AT AUSTRALIAN
PARLIAMENT

The speaker of Australia's House of Representatives says staff from the
Chinese embassy helped screen guests who watched last month's 24 October
parliamentary address by Chinese President Hu Jintao. Three guests of
the minority Greens party were moved out of the public gallery for the
event. Richard Davis reports:

Davis The speaker of the House of Representatives, Neil Andrew, says on
several occasions the Chinese ambassador expressed concerns that the
Chinese president's speech would also be interrupted. Greens senators
interrupted the speech by George W. Bush the previous day.

Mr Andrew says the ambassador was worried people would try to enter the
chamber using invitations not issued in their name. But Neil Andrew says
he rejected a request for all guests to carry photographic
identification.

Andrew To further ease the ambassador's concern, I suggested that I
would permit several of his embassy staff to assist house staff in
identifying people who may not have been the persons for whom
invitations were issued.

Davis Neil Andrew says despite the increased security, no-one was found
to be carrying an incorrect invitation.

29) The Bulletin's Frontrunner; November 3, 2003

MINNESOTA: VENTURA DECLINES GREEN PARTY'S INVITATION TO RUN FOR
PRESIDENCY.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune (11/1, Black) reports, "Former Gov. Jesse
Ventura was approached recently by Green Party officials about running
for president, but he declined, Ventura said Friday during the taping of
his cable talk show, 'Jesse Ventura's America.' The show will air
tonight on MSNBC. The show, which is taped in St. Paul, included a
segment about the prospects for third-party candidates in the 2004
presidential race. University of Minnesota political scientist Lawrence
Jacobs, who has been researching third-party prospects in 2004, was a
guest on the segment and asked Ventura whether he was considering
running. According to Jacobs, Ventura said he was not planning a bid at
present but was leaving the door open for reconsideration. In the course
of the discussion, Ventura said that the Greens had asked him to run and
that he had declined because he doesn't agree with some of the Green's
positions on issues."

30) The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY); November 3, 2003

NEW YORK: WHY HOWIE HAWKINS IS ON THE SIDELINES

by Howie Hawkins

To the Editor: We know from Thurgood Marshall's papers that Justice
Antonin Scalia once told his colleagues regarding a death penalty appeal
that the underlying facts were irrelevant as long as the process leading
to conviction was proper.

I feel like I was politically assassinated by the same judicial
philosophy. Even though I had enough signatures to qualify for the
ballot as the Green Party candidate for Syracuse councilor-at-large, my
mistake in serving process on the elections commissioners and the city
Democratic chair got my ballot access case dismissed without ruling on
the underlying facts concerning my petition. As an independent candidate
creating a Green line on the ballot, I had to get 1,500 signatures. The
Democrats needed only 1,000 signatures and the Republican only 790. I
turned in 2,084. After the Democrats challenged my petition, the Board
of Elections ruled I had only 1,483 good signatures, 17 short.

In reviewing the board's rulings, I found well over 100 signatures of
registered voters, and a witness who collected 21 signatures, who were
registered to vote in the city and still lived in the city. The election
law says signatories should list their current address next to their
signature and that the signature on the petition should be compared to
the signature on file to see if the signature is valid. But the Board of
Elections procedure is to compare the signature to the address they have
on file. So voters who moved within the district were ruled as invalid
signatories by the board.

In 1997, the court overruled the Board of Elections and put Green Party
candidate Dania Vega back on the ballot on the basis that signatories
who moved within the district were still valid. That would have been my
argument in court if I hadn't been dismissed for improper service.

Even the service issue is cloudy, with two of the four appellate
divisions in New York giving judges discretion to disregard
irregularities in service if no substantive rights of the respondents
are compromised. The respondents in this case showed up in court with
their lawyers and legal briefs. They were obviously served and ready to
argue their side. But the Court of Appeals declined to hear my appeal to
clarify the differences in New York state's appellate divisions on this
procedural issue.

So now I look at this election like many of the people I talked to in my
petition drive who are fed up and don't vote. Many cussed all
politicians for not working for the interests of ordinary people. Many
also asked what is the point after the Republicans stole the last
presidential election and Gore, Clinton, Reno, and the Democrats let
them get away with it by refusing to fight the computerized racial
profiling that disenfranchised thousands of black voters in Florida.

That's the way I feel about voting in this election. No one is raising
the issues in the Green Party platform I was hoping to put forward.

I'm not going to vote for what I don't want, so I'm going to sit this
election out and start preparing for next year's Green Party campaigns.

Howie Hawkins, Syracuse

31) South Wales Evening Post; November 3, 2003

WALES: GREENS IN HUGE ELECTIONS PUSH

Swansea Green Party will launch its biggest ever election drive next
summer. The party has chosen 38 candidates to stand in wards across the
city. Party chiefs claim issues such as the Crymlyn Burrows incinerator
and Swansea Airport expansion have brought a massive influx of
supporters.

Spokesman Martyn Shrewsbury said: "We have been working hard in the
wards like Uplands where we had 35 per cent of the vote in the Assembly
elections.

In Swansea East's St Thomas ward, anti-incinerator campaigner Teresa
Brzoza is to stand. Castle ward in the city centre will see Liberal
Democrat defector Yvonne Holley standing under the green banner.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.

For more Green Party news go to http://web.greens.org/news/