No subject

Tue Dec 29 08:20:31 EST 2009

there is a natural tendency to seek a sense of identity by establishing
what one is not. This, too, can be a characteristic of political
groupings and, indeed, many initiatives on the left have put much of
their energy into defining themselves by what they're against.

Of course, we are in opposition to new Labour and the realities of
politics means that we will be against their policies. However, Greens
increasingly argue that we need to be "propositional, not just
oppositional."

Respect has established a website homepage called www.blairout.com,
which is also an ambition shared with the Tories. But, for the Green
Party, the European elections are not simply a protest vote or
referendum on Blair.

Those elections are part of our ultimate aim of winning a clear
electoral mandate for positive Green solutions at every level, including
the European parliament.

Over the past 30 years, we have developed a strong electoral base, with
a transparent and democratic structure accountable to activists and a
wellworked progressive manifesto that has evolved through extensive and
inclusive procedures and which we feel already includes the issues
underlying the Respect platform.

We have a strong egalitarian culture that eschews overt personality
politics and that values established grass-roots structures that
exercise genuine democratic control.

The Green Party is involved in a longer-term political project and we
have watched the public increasingly supporting Green Party policies on
a wide range of issues.

Clearly, the Green Party attracts votes on the basis of its stance
against war, against neoliberalism and in favour of global social
justice, protection of public services and the bringing back into public
ownership of public utilities.

But people are also attracted to us because we are the only party to put
sustainability, as well as social justice, at the heart of our political
agenda.

On the basis of these policies, we have just achieved our best ever
English local election results, elected seven Green Scottish
parliamentarians and, this summer, on the basis of these policies, we
are aiming to significantly increase our number of MEPs and London
Assembly members.

Notwithstanding all this, the Green Party recognises the need to sit
down together with other parties to discuss various issues and is keen
to do so.

And, of course, thinking beyond the European and London Assembly
elections, there will be many opportunities for co-operation with others
who share our issues and concerns.

Such discussions will be enhanced by proper consultation with our
grass-roots members and an indepth understanding of the issues involved.

We are much encouraged by the revival of politics on the left, more than
anyone we want it to succeed and will do all that we can to support such
a revival.

In the meantime, the Green Party is planning to press ahead with its
agenda of peace, sustainability, social justice, global fairness and
quality of life.

-- Hugo Charlton is chairman of the Green Party of England and Wales.

21) Roll Call; January 20, 2004

WASHINGTON D.C.: WELCOME BACK CONGRESS

Lean Greens; Spoilers or Agents of Change? Green Party Wrestles With
Identity as It Recruits Candidates for Federal Races

By John McArdle

Just as Ralph Nader's presidential campaign helped reshape political
debates across the country in 2000, Green Party officials, left without
their well-known standard bearer this year, hope to replicate Nader's
influence on the Congressional level by running candidates in 60 to 80
high-profile House and Senate races.

And just as Nader's candidacy arguably cost then-Vice President Al Gore
the presidency in 2000, Green Party Congressional candidates could
likewise impact a few close elections come November - even though some
of the 300,000 registered Greens might now be willing to vote for
Democrats rather than endure continued Republican control.

At the House level, it's possible that the Greens could be a factor in
the Northwest and Southwest - particularly in New Mexico, where their
candidates have arguably cost Democrats victories in two Congressional
districts.

Fifteen Green candidates are already running for Congress this year, and
the party hopes to have 1,000 candidates for federal, state and local
positions on the ballot in November. Marnie Glickman, co-chairwoman of
the Green Party of the United States, says she's optimistic about the
party's ability to increase the number of Greens running across the
country from a previous high of 558 in 2002.

Glickman shrugged off Nader's decision not to seek the White House as a
Green this year (he plans to announce at the end of the month whether
he'll run as an Independent), and said it would not affect the party's
recruiting efforts.

"It might give us more inspiration ... to recruit more candidates," she
said.

The Greens are expected to run a presidential candidate regardless of
what Nader does.

For some political observers, however, 2000 represented a high-water
mark for the Green Party, and many don't expect much this year from the
party that garnered 2.74 percent of the nationwide vote in 2000, when
Nader was on the ballot.

"2000 was their big year," said Larry Sabato, a political science
professor at the University of Virginia. The Greens can "make a
difference in several House races or Senate races. But that's the key,
making the difference between the two party candidates, not actually
winning."

Glickman conceded that it is highly unlikely the Greens will gain a seat
in Congress this cycle.

"It's unclear how much we are going to be able to increase the number of
our federal candidates, mostly because it costs so much to run for
federal office and because Greens care a lot about winning elections,
and in the upcoming elections, we do not expect to have any
Congressional victories," she said.

So why are Greens fighting for ballot space in Congressional elections
if even they don't expect to win?

"We have to run in these high-profile races just to get attention,"
explained Rick Lass, a Green candidate for the New Mexico state
Legislature and a representative to the national Green Party. "We run
with no expectation of winning but knowing that we're going to steer the
debate. ... We run for the local races to win."

However, in a few close Congressional races, especially in states like
New Mexico, this attempt to "get attention" could be enough to tip the
balance in favor of Republican candidates.

In a 1997 special election in New Mexico's heavily Democratic 3rd
district, the Green candidate took 17 percent of the vote, enabling
Republican Bill Redmond to win with 43 percent. He was defeated in the
1998 general election.

And in several recent elections in the Albuquerque-based 1st district,
Democrats have been unable to defeat Rep. Heather Wilson (R), in part
because the Green candidates have run so strong.

"It's a district which, in terms of party registration and ethnic
distribution of the voters, has the potential of easily going to the
Democrats if it wasn't split," said William Lunch, a political scientist
at Oregon State University.

Army veteran Jeremy Brown announced earlier this month that he would run
in the 1st as a Green.

State Senate President Richard Romero, the 2002 Democratic nominee
against Wilson who's probably going to get the nomination again, "very
much wants us to stay out, but he isn't really willing to run on the
issues we want him to run on," Lass said.

But it remains to be seen whether the same sentiment will take hold in
Washington and Oregon, which collectively could see a half-dozen
competitive House races in which the Greens could hurt the Democrats if
the races are particularly close.

"The Greens [in Washington state], since the Nader campaign, have been
very quiet," said George Howland Jr., political editor of the Seattle
Weekly. "When I talk to different kinds of activists, it's much more of
a time of retrenchment, a return to anybody but [President] Bush, and I
think that's going to translate down to the Congressional level as
well."

Lunch said that the 2000 election had "a considerable sobering of the
hard left." However, he identified Hawaii as another place where the
Greens could be important.

In Oregon, Timothy Hermach, a prominent environmentalist and founder of
the Native Forest Council, is considering a run against Sen. Ron Wyden
(D), a move that could prompt Republicans to re-examine the race in a
state where Bush is hoping to compete this year.

For Democrats, the best way to stifle opposition from the left in a
close district is to simply keep the election to a two-party contest.

"Democratic leaders do everything possible privately and publicly to
encourage Green candidates not to run," Sabato said. "They always make
the practical argument to them that you're simply electing a
Republican."

Glickman acknowledged that this strategy has had some success.

"We know that the Democratic Party operatives are going directly to
[Green] party activists and party leaders trying to convince them that
the Democrat will meet the party's needs - they have for the past three
and a half years and will continue to do so," she said. "I think they
created the spoiler myth and they actively work to perpetuate the myth
that Greens spoil the political process, and that myth has been
effective in some places."

Another response by Democrats to a Green Party candidacy can be to go on
the offensive, said Howland, citing liberal Rep. Jim McDermott's
(D-Wash.) aggressive campaign against a Green candidate in 2000, even
though his seat was and is safe.

"McDermott took that really seriously, he campaigned really hard, he was
very aggressive and he was pissed off," Howland recalled. "I think what
we have seen here in Washington state, rather than an attempt to say,
'Come on, let's all be friends, let's join hands,' there has been a very
combative response by the Democratic Party, Democratic activists and
Democratic elected officials."

But House Democratic strategists say they aren't worried yet.

"At this point there aren't many Green candidates running in truly
competitive districts, so it hasn't factored into our planning
nationally a whole lot," said Democratic Congressional Campaign
Committee spokesman Greg Speed.

Democrats need to be talking to Greens about why "the first priority
should be defeating [Majority Leader] Tom DeLay [R-Texas] and the House
Republican leadership, and the only meaningful way to do that is by
voting for a candidate who can win and who can vote to elect [Minority
Leader] Nancy Pelosi [D-Calif.] Speaker," Speed added.

22) Daily Egyptian( Southern Illinois U.); January 20, 2004

ILLINOIS: GROUPS PUSH SOUTHERN ILLINOIS U.-AREA COUNCIL TO OPPOSE
PATRIOT ACT

Carbonville -- While the Carbondale, Ill., city council agenda for
Tuesday night's meeting is slim, four local groups are bringing their
own issue of the U.S.A. Patriot Act up for community discussion.

Four civic organizations -- the Shawnee Green Party, the Peace Coalition
of Southern Illinois, the Southern Illinois University chapter of the
American Civil Liberties Union and the Southern Illinois Libertarians --
will request the city council adopt a resolution opposing the Patriot
Act.

The proposed resolution states that certain sections of the Patriot Act
violate the First and Fourth Amendments to the Constitution through the
expansion of the government's ability to wiretap telephones, monitor
e-mail communications, survey medical, financial and student records and
secretly enter homes and offices without customary administrative
oversight.

Since Carbondale has a diverse population, including non-citizens, the
proposed resolution directs the city to re-assert its commitment to
protect the First Amendment and due process rights of all persons in the
city, whether they are U.S. citizens or not.

A copy of the resolution was sent to the mayor and all council members
and can be accessed at
http://www.geocities.com/shawneegreen/carbonda.html....

23) United Press International; January 20, 2004

ENGLAND: 'GREEN' PARTIES TAKE AIM AT EU ELECTIONS

London -- Green parties from across Europe said Tuesday they will unite
next month to seek seats in the European Parliament elections in June.

Thirty-one parties, including some from countries outside the EU, will
gather in Rome on Feb. 20-22 to found the new cooperative, which will be
called the European Green Party.

"For the first time there will be a really common campaign" among the
pro-environment organizations, Green spokesman Helmut Weixler told
EUobserver.com. Common issues include renewable and nuclear energy and
genetically modified foods.

"Of course there are differences," Weixler said. "Some national parties
in (in the United Kingdom) or in Sweden are more critical to Europe than
other Greens, but in general, if you take sustainable growing ... if you
take energy policy, we have common ground."

24) Aberdeen Press and Journal; January 19, 2004

SCOTLAND: HEADLINE: FARM CHIEFS' LEGAL THREAT OVER 'CANCER RISK' SALMON

by Ken Jones

Highland politicians last night threw their weight behind moves which
could see legal action taken against the authors of a report which
claimed farmed salmon from Scotland posed a cancer risk. Nationalist MSP
Fergus Ewing, who is also a solicitor and represents one of the
Highlands' leading fish farming areas, said: "I would be 100% behind the
industry in taking action against this utterly reprehensible and flawed
report." Meanwhile, Scotland's Green Party has called for an urgent
inquiry "to get at the truth" for the sake of the industry and the
public's health.

Scottish Quality Salmon, whose members produce 65% of the nation's
farmed salmon, says it is preparing a case against the American
scientists whose damning report published earlier this month claimed the
fish was so high in pollutants that it should only be eaten a maximum of
once every four months.

The US study claimed significantly high levels of PCBs, dioxins and
other carcinogens had been found in Scottish farmed salmon....

..."I also find it utterly reprehensible that this flawed research has
gained worldwide publicity." Robin Harper, the Green Party's
parliamentary leader, said: "I warned ministers from the outset that
what was needed was an urgent investigation into this issue and I am
repeating that call for the sake of both public health and the fish
farming industry." He added: "Scottish Executive intervention is now
needed more urgently than ever. Legal cases are premature, and will not
get at the truth quickly enough.

"The best way to clear the confusion is for an independent inquiry to be
instigated by the Scottish Executive as a matter of urgency." He says
the call has been backed by industry advisers.

Greens claim that the respected Science Journal, which published the
report, says the research was objective and had been rigorously
peer-reviewed.

It is also claimed that support for the research has come from a former
director of the US Department of Health's national toxicological
programme and author of more than 200 studies on toxic chemicals, George
Lucier. Mr Lucier is reported as saying the study was "based on sound
science" and that "the results are undeniable".

25) The Advertiser; January 19, 2004

NEW ZEALAND: TRANS-TASMAN MILITARY STRAIN

A proposed joint Australia-US military training facility could lead to a
downgrade of New Zealand's defence relationship with its neighbour, the
Green Party has warned.

New Zealand "should be upfront that we don't look kindly on US bases
being established there", NZ's Greens foreign affairs spokesman, Keith
Locke, said yesterday.

On Friday it was announced the Australian and US governments were
looking to deepen military ties through a joint training facility in
Australia.

26) Global News Wire - Asia Africa Intelligence Wire; January 19, 2004

GERMANY: GERMAN GREEN PARTY LEADERS TO MEET IN BERLIN TO SET 2004 AGENDA

"Parties, Greens, closed-door meeting: Green Party leaders hold
closed-door meeting"

Berlin: Green Party leaders are to meet on Tuesday and Wednesday (20 and
21 January) behind closed doors in Berlin to discuss the party's main
agenda items for the current year. The main focus will be on the areas
of innovation, education, energy, and social policies, as well as the
future of the Bundewehr. Juergen Kluge from the consulting firm McKinsey
has been invited to speak on education, and Hans-Joerg Bullinger from
the Frauenhofer Institute on innovation policies.

The Green Party leaders want to focus additionally on the elections
occurring in the first half of the year. The Greens are hoping for good
results from (the elections to be held in) Hamburg and Thuringia, as
well as from the European Parliament elections. As of Monday in Berlin,
party leader Reinhard Bluetikofer did not anticipate that the prospect
of a possible black-green alliance at regional level would be discussed
at the closed-door meeting.

Apart from the two party leaders, Angelika Beer and Reinhard
Bluetikofer, the party's federal leadership includes federal manager
Steffi Lemke, federal treasurer Dietmar Strehl, Green politician Omid
Nouripour, and the speaker for women's affairs Katja Husen.

27) CTK National News Wire; January 19, 2004

CZECH REPUBLIC: HEADLINE: RED-GREEN GOVT NOT REASON FOR ELECTION BARRIER
REDUCTION - SPIDLA

Prague -- Premier Vladimir Spidla has said that the possibility of
creating a red-green coalition was not the reason for him to propose to
amend the election law to better correspond to the proportional
representation system, Hospodarske noviny (HN) writes today.

HN writes that Spidla has had "a long-term vision of a 'red- green'
coalition" which would comprise the Social Democrats (CSSD), now the
senior government party, and the Greens Party, whose voter support
however is far below 5 percent.

At present the CSSD forms a government coalition with two junior
parties, the Christian Democrats (KDU-CSL) and the Freedom Union-DEU.

"In assigning the task to amend the election law, I did not have this
the red-green coalition in mind," Spidla is quoted as saying.

A draft amendment to the law is to be drafted by March by CSSD deputy
chairman and Interior Minister Stanislav Gross together with the deputy
chairmen of the two junior government parties, Jan Kasal (KDU-CSL) and
Pavel Nemec (Freedom Union-DEU), local development minister.

"It is true that the five-percent barrier is one the highest in Europe.
Three percent is more usual," HN quotes Nemec as saying....

28) Liverpool Daily Echo; January 19, 2004

ENGLAND:ACADEMIC'S CRUSADE ON POLLUTION

A Liverpool transport expert wants to tax aviation fuel to cut air
pollution.

Green Party peer Lord Beaumont is calling for support for his private
member's bill which would require the government to set targets for
reducing all greenhouse gas emissions linked to aviation.

Aviation is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions.

John Whitelegg, Professor of Sustainable Transport at Liverpool John
Moores University and a leading Green Party spokesman, said his party
could solve this problem by putting charges on emissions and on air
traffic congestion.

He said it would raise pounds 170mfrom Heathrow airport alone in the
first year.

29) Sunday Mercury; January 18, 2004

ENGLAND: SAFETY CYCLIST KILLED ON ROAD

A road safety campaigner has been knocked down and killed in the
Midlands.

Safer Roads cyclist David Gillett was pedalling along the Breinton Road
in Hereford when he collided with a car.

Mr Gillett, who was also founder of the Hereford Centre for Natural
Health, died as he rode home after a night out.

The Green Party candidate had been due to stand in the next European
elections.

Jenny Jones, a Green Party member and Deputy Mayor of London, said:
'David was a kind, gentle and generous-hearted person. He believed that
we all have a responsibility to change things for the better and worked
hard to bring real benefits to society at large.'

Hereford Police want anyone with information to contact 08457 444 888.

30) The Citizens Voice; January 16, 2004

PENNSYLVANIA: WILKES-BARRE TAXPAYERS GROUP, COUNTY GREEN PARTY ARE
SEEKING SPECIAL ELECTION FOLLOWING STATE COURT RULING ON 2001 CITY
REFERENDUM

by James Conmy

The Wilkes-Barre Taxpayers' Association and Luzerne County Green Party
plan to ask county court to order a special election so changes in a
2001 city referendum can be implemented as soon as possible.

Both groups championed for the question, which eliminated two city
council seats and created district-based elections for the remaining
five.

Carl Romanelli Jr., co-chairman of the Luzerne County Green Party, said
Wilkes-Barre's home rule charter should be amended immediately to
include the referendum. He also insisted city voters have waited long
enough for the revised government they supported.

But Romanelli pointed out the earliest a special election could be held
is the next regular municipal election year, which is 2005.

"Since we have to wait until 2005, that gives the appeal process a
chance to play itself out, that is if the other side decides to appeal
at all," commented Romanelli. "Plus, it gives us time should we ask the
court for a special election and direction on how to proceed."

Christine Katsock, president of the taxpayers' group, also admitted she
would like to see a special election.

"I would truly like to see the city take the initiative to make sure
every thing that needs to happen, will happen," she offered. "That
includes the immediate change of the charter to reflect from seven to
five council and district-based elections as well as asking the county
for a special election in 2005."

Wilkes-Barre Solicitors Tim Henry and Bill Vinsko have declined
extensive comment on the issue until they have a time to thoroughly
review the Commonwealth Court's decision.

When asked if the city does not move forward with a special election,
Katsock said, "Then we will, but I am willing to give city officials
ample opportunity to do what is right." Despite the delay with the
referendum being upheld, Katsock said democracy has prevailed.

"First of all, we're ecstatic that the will of the voters is being
upheld," Katsock said. "We're just happy the Commonwealth Court went
according to the law."

No matter what the outcome of the special election request is, Romanelli
agreed with Katsock, both sides are thrilled with the state court's
decision.

"We're just very pleased that Commonwealth Court saw fit to protect a
legal and certified vote of the citizens of Wilkes-Barre," Romanelli
said. "It's a road we could have avoided taking had city council done
the right thing in 2002 and amended the city's charter.

"At least we know the court is willing to protect the integrity of
citizen action," he said.

As for the council districts, Romanelli said the groups do not agree
with the system proposed by the Wilkes-Barre Apportionment Commission in
2002. The plan divided the city's 12 neighborhoods into five striped
sections, which included small portions of neighborhoods.

Katsock and Romanelli encouraged five districts that kept as many
neighborhoods in tact as possible.

"If the courts have to intervene in order to provide direction, we plan
on asking the court's consideration of reasonable districts that
preserve neighborhood integrity," Romanelli said.

"I agree with Carl that the neighborhoods should be kept intact,"
Katsock said. "I've had the opportunity to speak with residents who are
concerned with the striping.

"I haven't been able to research it fully, but in my preliminary
examination I have noticed
there is no precedent in a case like this. So, we'll have to wait and
see," she said.

Although the election was held in November 2001, the changes in the
referendum still have not been phased into city elections.

In January 2003, Judge Joseph Augello ruled the results of the
referendum election null and void because county Voter Services failed
to post a "plain English" version of the question in the city's 43
polling places.

But on Wednesday, a Commonwealth Court panel of judges overturned Judge
Augello's decision and upheld the referendum.

The Wilkes-Barre Taxpayers' Association and Luzerne County Green Party
are the defendants who appealed the case to the state level.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.

For more Green Party news go to http://web.greens.org/news/