[MCR] Rockies: Nemesis, Stanley Headwall (April 7)

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 7 19:44:55 EDT 2010

Nemesis is in prime shape right now with a hooking path up the entire
route. Having said that, it looks like everything is to change
tomorrow with a weather forecast of snow, rain, wind and warm
temperatures. Parks Canada is forecasting the avalanche hazard to go
to HIGH with this storm so it will be a while before I would want to
head back up to the Stanley Headwall.

Hanging daggers on the left side of Nemesis threaten the first two
pitches to the halfway ledge. They are worth considering if it gets
really warm. They get direct sun for about an hour mid-morning.

The lower portion of the trail is well packed and could be walked, but
once you hit treeline it would be post-holing. We skied the whole way.

My client saw a large Grizzly yesterday digging by the side of the
road across from the Stanley parking lot so we decided to carry bear
spray. No sign of the bruin today, but they are definitely awake and
hungry.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide