[MCR] Duffy Lake Area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 8 18:55:12 EDT 2010

Just got back from some amazing powder skiing in the Duffy. Avalanche conditions were extremely touchy to say the least. At 6am I woke up to check the weather station and only 5 new cms of snow had fallen, by the time I got to Cayoosh Summit at 8:20am there were at least 20cms in the parking lot, and overall it was 20cms in 3 hours, with 25cm in 24 hours on the road and close to 40cm up high. As we skinned up in the trees every steep roll remotely triggered small 10cm deep slides. This all quickly settled out and we poked our heads up to treeline and saw an abundance of wind affected surfaces in the treeline and alpine with a few size 2 and greater naturals that had occurred during the storm. I am definitely going to give the open slopes a day or two to settle down from this intense loading (both snowfall and wind) event. The road was wet and plowed by the time we left. Safe travels.

Evan Stevens
Mountain Guide

evan_stevens at hotmail.com
evanstevens.blogspot.com