[MCR] Wapta conditions.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 10 08:25:10 EDT 2010

I just returned from 6 days on the Wapta. Things have certainly
changed again and not for the better as we thought "could" happen
leaving on April 4th. Travelling up Peyto was good, probably the
best day was on April 4th.

April 5th at about 1100hrs noted the slab come out on Trappeur peak
while hanging around the hut doing some skills stuff. Later that day
did a quick profile under Thompson and still found instabilities
down about 70cm on an old facet or SH interface. This was on the easy
side of a moderate compression. Also some instabilities in the newer
storm snow.

Climbed Rhonda south on the 6th. The ridge was generally scoured but
The summit ridge was quite windblown and rimed and I thought quite
well covered and without many exposed rocks. Still good skiing down
the ramp and over to Bow hut, not much wind affect.

On April 7th headed over to Balfour hut. A few cm of new snow at Bow
that morning, strong winds picking up and continued most of the day.
It seems like 20-30cm of new snow blown in on the Vulture glacier,
little to no visibility for rest of day. moderate to strong winds
continued with snowfall overnight and all day on the 8th.

We stretched our legs going over to the Diaberlet glacier but barely
got out of the flats as another wave of weather hit by mid day.
Significant subsidences in Balfour pass. We turned around just above
the pass due to the poor light and changing conditions.

Came out to Bow again on the morning of the 9th. -15 at Balfour hut
with a stiff northwesterly wind.Visibility still generally poor but
signs of newer activity on Olive were noted. A size 2 slab had pulled
out on the Bow head wall as well. the slopes above Bow were quite
wind affected with whales of soft slab getting stiffer the higher you
got. The slope below the hut was not wind affected when we came down.
The canyon was generally good with little wind affect, but still some
isolated small slabs in the canyon walls.

Didn't see much of Mt Balfour in the 2 days we were there, and it
wouldn't have mattered much. I would suspect the full traverse would
be quite scary right now and "definitely" not recommended.

Peter

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide
pamann at incentre.net