[MCR] Rockies, Wapta traverse April 23-26

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 26 21:41:11 EDT 2010

April 23rd skied to Bow Hut. Some spongy water siting on the surface
of Bow Lake if you stepped off of the set track. Had to carry skis
and step through the creek a half a dozen times on the way to tree
line. Some frustrating crust collapses below the hut that left you
standing in a bathtub.

24th. A solid freeze overnight and a strong supportive crust
everywhere we were -Olive/St Nic col and down to Balfour Hut. Dust on
crust hero snow, 5-10 cm deep on the bullet proof crust. Satiny
skiing on the Diableret Glacier. Constant moderate-strong westerly
winds.

25th. A clear cold night. Great travel and tracksetting across the
high bench to Balfour High Col. A winter snow pack -without the
supportive crust- on the steeper northerly slopes above 9000 feet.
More satiny skiing down the Balfour Glacier to 8500 feet (after
getting to the Scott Duncan Hut), and a great ski down the
southwesterly aspect of the 9500 foot peak at the southern end of the
Balfour Gl at 5:30 pm.

26th. - 10 C at 7:00 am. Great travel to Niles Peak and no problem
cutting the big east facing slope there on the bulletproof supportive
crust with dust on it. Great skiing down to the creek on the
Schiesser/Lomas exit. Had to boot pack down through tight trees at
the waterfall pitch as it was a waterfall. Skated across Sherbrooke
Lake. Had to carry our skis for about 100 meters on the trail down to
Wapta Lake, the snow is disappearing fast there.

Overall great conditions once you get onto the icefields. I would
take ski crampons as the crust is side slippy on the steeper side
slopes.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com