[MCR] NE Ridge Mt. Assiniboine

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Aug 13 18:00:21 EDT 2010

Rob Owens and I climbed the NE Ridge of Mt. Assiniboine yesterday (Aug 12) with two guests.

We had reasonable conditions despite a fair amount of snow above the red band. We used crampons above the red band for both ascent and descent, and also made several rappels on the upper mountain due to the slightly slippery conditions. A fairly vigorous storm arrived in the early evening yesterday dropping about 2cm of snow at the Hind Hut elevation (not to mention some wild lightning and thunder!). Temperatures were just below freezing this morning and the peak was almost completely obscured in light snow flurries that turned to drizzle lower on the Gmoser Highway. The freezing level was just below the hut. The peak will likely be in less than optimal condition until a couple of warm and sunny days can melt this recent snow and dry out the route a bit.

Play safe!

Jeremy Mackenzie
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
jeremymackenzie at hotmail.com