[MCR] Rockies, Homage to the Spider, Mt Louis, etc.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 15 15:04:17 EDT 2010

Guided Homage to the Spider on Mt Louis yesterday, Aug 14th. The
route is in great shape with all of the pitches dry and climbable as
per Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies (although we never
found "... where a bolt protects a move around a block"). There are
now new ring bolts and bolts forming all of the stations up to the
Medieval Alley, rappelling the steep climbing would be accommodated
by these stations.

On Tues, Aug 12th, my guest and I rappelled away from threatening
weather at the end of the second pitch of the CMC Wall on Mt Yamnuska
(this is the station below the 5.11b crux pitch). Our rappel was very
intimidating as 55 meters was in space and the ropes ended in space
way down there. At about 35 meters down it was possible to -just- get
some kick off and swing to grab good holds and climb over to a two
bolt anchor on the right (General Pain?). From there the rapping was
more normal and 57 meters to the ground.

On Monday we climbed Rain Check on Guides Rock ... never let it be
doubted that Dave Morgan could handle a run out. The crux pitch
should test the mental metal of most, I can say that it did for me,
for the second time since the 80s.

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
http://www.barryblanchard.ca
http://www.yamnuska.com