[MCR] Rockies, traverse from Mt Collier to Popes Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Aug 19 23:16:27 EDT 2010

Guided a fabulous walk in the sky today, August 19th, traversing from
Mt Collier to Popes Peak. Conditions on the Victoria Glacier were
great this morning and access to the North Victoria/Collier Col
should be good for awhile.

We descended the Popes Peak rappels with a single 60 meter rope. A
hint on finding the first rappel is to descend the snow and ice ridge
off of Popes to the northeast (along the Alberta/BC border), scramble
down a stretch of blocky black rock, and then down a second snow
ridge. At the bottom of the this ridge look down and left for a large
slung block.

We walked down the "hanging valley" and traversed the "prominent
ledge" mentioned on page 102 of Selected Alpine Climbs. The half hour
of bushwaking to get to Ross Lake was tedious.

While walking along the Great Divide Bike Trail/Old Highway we got
hissed at by a large grizzly with a blue ear tag who was eating
berries just above Sink Lake -five meters away from us. We retreated
slowly while talking to him. He wasn't moving so we walked around the
east end of the lake to gain the train tracks where it looked like
he'd already eaten all of the berries.

Happy trails,
I guess

Barry Blanchard