[MCR] Willingdon area and Pipestone

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 29 10:01:12 EDT 2010

Attempted to climb Willingdon from August 26-28. Beautiful weather
going in on 26th, good conditions. (until late in day) An intense
cold front brought strong winds and heavy rainfall the night of the
26th. Temperatures dropped 10 degrees over a few hours. We had strong
winds and an intense dust storm near the north end of Pipestone Pass
as the system approached which was knocking us off our feet!

(check out this short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFUKj8qP8o)

We accessed the Pipestone via col NE of Molar meadows by small lake.
From above the small lake a bench at 2600 metres (526253) leads SE
to another lake then to trail. This route though longer than
quartzite col is easier and probably better if wet or snowy.

The 27th was unsettled and the peak had picked about 10cm of snow and
weather still very unsettled. Snow line was down to 2400 metres and
spotty with some peaks getting much more snow than others. We decided
to start to head out and were hit by another system on the which gave
another 5-10cm at upper elevations late in the day.

This route though longer than quartzite col is easier and probably
better if wet or snowy.
Driving home late afternoon on the 28th ran into an intense snow
storm near the icefields and it looks like much more snow at and
above treeline in the Jasper area.
Spectacular country.....just one day late!

Peter Amann

Peter Amann
Mountain guide
pamann at incentre.net